Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Waiting

“Do you know what this town is saying about me?” my mother answers from above. ‘‘They say that my daughter is common, a slut’” (22).

Although her mother doesn’t say this, Meredith thinks of herself as slut because she knows that this is exactly what’s going on in her mother’s mind. When Meredith thinks of her mother, she doesn’t think of her mother asking her about how she and the baby are doing. This is because she is aware that her mother is more concerned about herself and the community than her own daughter who is in extreme need of support at this time. Her parents are mostly to be blamed for what she did. Now they are acting like it is all Meredith’s fault, and are trying to make her feel guilty for her “shameful” act. I am so upset at this. I mean why wouldn’t they accept that it’s their fault that they didn’t pay enough attention to their daughter, and stop blaming their daughter for the taunts that they get from the community? I think that even if they don’t take the blame on themselves they should at least be helpful to their daughter. Who leaves a 16 year old in a rough situation like this and that too all alone? Did they forget that they are her parents and they should be supporting their daughter no matter what? Her parents are backing away from their duty so they should be ashamed of themselves. 

3 comments:

  1. I responded to the same quote yo! I agree that Meredith's mom basically failed at being a mother and sucks at supporting her daughter. That makes me super mad because Meredith is going through an incredibly tough time and she is 100% alone. Furthermore, I don't necessarily agree that Meredith's pregnancy is really her parent's fault. They might partially be at fault, but Meredith was old enough to know her limits and control herself. I think her teenage desire got the best of her and I don't think there's anything wrong in taking risks and making mistakes. I know that this slip up resulted in a life being brought into this world, but people have to deal with the consequences of their action, whether good or bad. I think Meredith was an extremely strong young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that her parents are changing the tables and making it all her fault. When they are really are the ones who made her go into hiding and not talk to anyone or do anything. They seemed to forget as parents that you should be the ones who are supporting your daughter in good and bad and not making their life more miserable than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the first chapter, it is clear that Meredith's other abandoned her even before she gets pregnant. Meredy's pregnancy ends up being a convenient way for her to abdicate blame--making it all the more impressive to me that Meredith loves her parents as she does.

    ReplyDelete